I realized that I have a full post about how I help the birth partner during labor and delivery, but never really created an informational post about WHAT THE HECK I ACTUALLY DO FOR YOU, MOM!
SO let me tell you ☺
As your Birth Doula, I do so much more than just help you at your birth:
- I’m available to you long BEFORE you go into labor! You can text me after contract signing with any pregnancy, labor, birth and breast feeding related questions that you may have. I highly encourage and recommend that you and your partner take childbirth and breast feeding classes but I am happy to fill in the gaps and explain things that you may still have questions about.
- If you would like to have maternity photos made- I can do that!
- We will meet at 32 and 36 weeks to discuss your birth expectations, and create a birth plan. We will discuss comfort measures, and your partner’s anticipated level of participation.
- If you would like an extra set of ears at any of your prenatal appointments– I can do that!
- During your labor, I will come to you where ever you’d like me to meet you. For instance, if you are planning to give birth in a hospital, you can choose to labor in the comfort of your own home for as long you like before going to the hospital. I will come to your home and help you with positions that will minimize your discomfort and help to maximize the baby’s position in the womb/ pelvis for birth. Or I’ll meet you at the hospital and we can start there. Planning an epidural? I will help with labor before the epidural is administered and will still help with comfort positions and maximal baby positioning after being restricted to bed. Planning a home birth? I’m there when you’re ready! Birthing Center? Same, just call me!
- Planned or unexpected Cesarean? The birth partner is usually whisked away with the baby after the birth, if the provider allows, I will be at your side while the surgery is completed.
- During labor and birth, I am your sounding board, your solace and your cheerleader. I help you to communicate with your care provider so that you feel fully educated about every decision you make.
- Help your partner participate in all ways they may wish to.
- After the birth, I will stay with you and your partner to help with the first feeding, if you have chosen to breast feed your baby, or just after you’re all settled in.
- I will come visit you the next day to check in and follow up any questions or help with feeding.
- I will visit you one more time one- two weeks after the birth. We will address your recovery and postpartum care, review your birth experience and discuss your feelings about it as well as clarify any misconceptions or misunderstandings, help you fill in any memory gaps and deal with any feelings disappointment, guilt or anger. We will discuss signs of postpartum depression, as well as parenting/ postpartum resources for navigating this new chapter of your life.
I am delighted to do this for you and your family and I look forward to working with you in this most sacred journey.